Dr. Gutheim grew up in a family of physicians and nurses, which sparked his interest in becoming a doctor. His grandparents were both physicians and he was inspired by their passion for the profession and their care for patients. He chose nephrology as a specialty because it combined his interest in biochemistry with the opportunity to diagnose and treat complicated medical disorders.
He enjoys working at Kidney Care because of the camaraderie, collegiality, and cooperative focus with specialists to treat patients. He strives to provide the best outcomes for all his patients. He is particularly dedicated to creating treatment plans that keep patients off dialysis for as long as possible.
Before going into nephrology, Dr. Gutheim spent over 20 years in the military. He was on active duty for most of the 1990s then served in the National Guard, retiring as State Surgeon at the Oregon Army National Guard.
He enjoys his time outside of work with his family spending time in the outdoors on fishing and hiking trips and traveling.
- MD: Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
- Residency: Brook Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, TX
- Fellowship: Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA
- Board Certification: Internal Medicine, Nephrology, Clinical Hypertension
- Patient Care Emphasis: Hypertension, General Nephrology